The Shure Model R176 is a direct replacement cartridge for Shure Model BETA 58A supercardioid dynamic microphones. The R176 offers the same high quality performance as the original cartridge. To install the R176 replacement cartridge in the BETA 58A, proceed as follows:
- Using a small slothead screwdriver, turn the XLR setscrew counter-clockwise and remove the XLR connector.
- Unsolder the BLUE and RED leads of the old cartridge from pins 2 and 3 of the XLR connector.
- Unscrew and remove the screen and grille assembly.
- Remove the cartridge retaining ring using a set of snap-ring pliers. Insert both needles of the pliers into each of the holes on the ring. Close the pliers so that the ring compresses slightly, then remove the ring.
- Remove the cartridge and attached leads from the case.
- Run the leads from the new cartridge through the handle, so the leads come out on the XLR end.
- Insert the new cartridge in the case, making sure it is properly seated in the notches provided. Also make sure that the wire leads are aligned with the nameplate and that they are not pinched between the cartridge and case.
- Using snap-ring pliers, insert the ring into the groove inside the handle, securing the cartridge in place. Reattach the screen and grille assembly.
- Solder the leads of the new cartridge to the XLR connector: the BLUE wire goes to pin 2, and the RED wire goes to pin 3.
- Insert the XLR connector in the bottom of the handle, again making sure that the wires are not pinched between the connector and the case.
- Using a small slothead screwdriver, turn the XLR setscrew clockwise to secure the connector to the case.